IMZ Academy 2019: “The Complete Performer of the Future – Embracing Media Skills in Music Education”, 29-30 October, Vienna
14 June 2019
This IMZ Academy establishes the importance of media skills for the next generation of musicians and explores how the music education of the future should adapt its syllabus to prepare students effectively for the opportunities and challenges of the digital realm.
What kind of mindset and skills beyond musical excellence do classical performers need to thrive in our ever-increasing digital world and how can these be trained by Conservatories?
Leading experts in their field examine today’s multi-media musical landscape and assess the implications for Higher Music Education Institutions from all angles:
- Peter Maniura, IMZ Academy Director, Project Director Classical Archive and Orchestras Digital Strategy at BBC Music, provides an overview of the current digital + media landscape and presents specific case studies in the use of digital + social media.
- Miranda Harmer, Chair at Conservatoires UK Student Network, examines the student perspective and reflects on the positive impact of media skills on her musical career.
- John Kieser, Executive Vice President and Provost at New World Symphony, shares his distinctive expertise in integrating technology + digital into master postgraduate studies and discusses curriculum considerations as well as actual training sessions.
- Yury Revich, Violinist, sheds light on the artist’s standpoint and illustrates how media skills are a key component in his career strategy, using his successful social media promotion strategy for his concert series “Friday Nights with Yury Revich”.
- Christopher Widauer, Head of Digital Development at Vienna State Opera, elaborates on the employers’ perspectives and presents the multitude of new career opportunities for musicians trained in media skills.
- Martin Zimper, Head of Cast / Audiovisual Media at Design Department of the Zurich University of the Arts, explains how he successfully established a transdisciplinary course focusing on audiovisual media, social media and online strategies for audience engagement.
Find out more about the expert speakers and the detailed schedule on the event website.